Fundamentals for preparation of Lebenslauf, Anschreiben and Interview: The heart and soul of your application and the gateway to your potential dream| by Mr. Loukik Modi
Crafting your Lebenslauf and Anschreiben: The heart and soul of your application
- Try to keep your documents real, authentic and avoid any direct copy and pastes.
- Don’t use Google translate to convert the whole English version, be it Lebenslauf or Anschreiben, into German.
- Using the language, you know to its full potential is definitely a skill, that can be learnt, honed and improved.
- Use your own knowledge, competency and language skills to phrase the sentences, the paragraphs and the whole document. Use the tools like translators and dictionaries only as a help and not as a guide.
- The more correlation your documents have with the position to which you are applying, the higher would be the prospects of a positive response.
- Spend more time on the documents and think over how you fit in for the position you are applying for.
- Whatever course you have done and whatever experience you have, use it and frame it in a way that it would be appealing to the person reviewing your documents.
- A small change here and there, proper and a better description of your course and experiencewould add a lot of value to your documents.
- If you put efforts and work hard and smart in the right direction, the success rate would be really good.
Preparing for the interview: The gateway to your potential dream
Be yourself. Be real, authentic and genuine.
- Your communication skills do play a very important role here. Cracking the interview is just about delivering your message correctly. Repeating again… Using the language, you know to its full potential is definitely a skill, that can be learnt, honed and improved.
- Prepare for the interview well in advance. Think about a range of aspects before facing the interview, starting from knowing yourself and your documents to the company and position information.
- Once again, go through the advertisement of the position and all other points mentioned in it.
- Have sufficient knowledge and information about the various topics mentioned in it.
- Go thoroughly through your documents once again, even though no one else knows them better than yourself, but still, you should go through them because chances are very high that there would be a pretty long time between your applications and your interview.
- Prepare the first part of the interview, the introduction keeping in view the interviewers and what would be interesting for them.
- Prepare yourself for range of general questions regarding your strengths and weaknesses, hobbies, your motivation for the company and the position, aspects of the company.
- Have a satisfactory reasoning for different turning points that were there throughout your life and that are visible in your Lebenslauf.
- Though I am repeating it, but it is the most important part…Be yourself. Be real, authentic and genuine.
A short background of my experiences with the document preparation
I did a lot of applications for finding my first internship, which started from March 2017. Beginning in May, I also went through 6 interviews with different companies like Volkswagen, Daimler, Bosch etc. And with rejections from all and an acceptance from Bosch, I started my first internship at Bosch in September 2017, that would be ending in February 2018. From the first week of January 2018, I started with the applications for one more internship. This time things worked very fast and I got 2 internship offers from MAN and Continental. I also had 2 more interviews scheduled for Audi and a small company, which I declined as the position of Continental was better than the others. Don’t know what is in store more for me as many applications are still pending. But I am happy with the one I have received and believe is the best for me. The experiences that I recently had with the whole process once again, revealed a lot of things and motivated me to write about it. The difficulties, hardships and the struggle that I went through during my very first experience during the search for my first internship back in 2017 would have been definitely much less if I had received a better guidance. The ease, comfort and smoothness with which the things
worked out this time around, taught me a lot and I believe that it would serve as a valuable resource for others.
Things to ponder upon and brace yourself
- Times are and will be changing, things here in Germany also are not as they were before.
- The competition is getting tougher and tougher with time.
- The competition is not only with a lot of students coming over every year but as well as with the locals here.
Ending the blog with a few motivating quotes
One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation
Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.
A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.
I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
Every experience in your life is being orchestrated to teach you something you need to know to move forward.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Read also Internship application process, tips and tricks for internship application
About the writer: Mr. Loukik Modi is currently interning at Bosch Germany and is pursuing his masters in Automotive Service Technology and Processes at Ostfalia Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften.